Monday, December 8, 2014

Feast of the Immaculate Conception



Today is a holy day of obligation, as the Catholic Church terms it, to commemorate the St. Mary's conception that deemed her free of original sin.  I was in Milwaukee for a run yesterday, and didn't realize this church was named for the Immaculate Conception until walking by (I always thought it was St. Vincent de Paul for some reason).




From the outside, this church looks handsome.  The church was locked, so I couldn't go inside on this visit.  The rectory is visible to the left.









Unusual for Catholic churches that I am familiar with, this steeple is at the end opposite of the front doors of the church.  I am curious to know the history behind this design.  The form of the steeple itself reminds me of the steeple at St. John's Cathedral, just a few miles north of here.





Looking behind from where I took the previous photo, you see "Downtown" Bayview on Kinnickinnick (KK) Avenue.  Bayview is one of Milwaukee's many upstanding neighborhoods, with a wide selection of eateries, shops, and housing stock.  The church down the Avenue is St. Lucas Evangelical Lutheran Church, another nice edifice in this part of Milwaukee.



Immaculate Conception Catholic Church
1023 E Russell Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53207
http://icbayview.wordpress.com/

2 comments: